Saturday, April 10, 2010

Retail relief


To keep myself busy while Tim's away, I settled on a cabled scarf pattern for my brother's birthday and needed some new wool. So I met a few of the knitting group girls in Malmö this fine Saturday morning at Fröken Garn. Unfortunately, once there, everything they had was far too beautiful to even contemplate giving to my brother.

Instead I bought a skein of chunky baby alpaca in a brick orange colour for me and two little balls of Norwegian milk yarn. Yep, yarn made out of milk. The very idea that yarn can be spun out of milk astounds me. Ullrika, in the group, had recently been using it to make a gorgeous baby cardigan and she said it was lovely to work with. It's so soft. And now there's a baby coming who might appreciate it too...


I could only find one skein of the alpaca. Given that I'm finding the neckwarmer you made me so useful, I think I'll try something like that. It'll be a super quick knit.

2 comments:

  1. That wool is beautiful! I love the colours. Funny that you bought some milk yarn, I was reading about that the other day and thought it sounded great, although I really don't understand how it's possible to make anything other than coffee out of milk.
    Are you making our baby something??? Ehehehee, that would be awesome : ) (if you aren't and I have just put my foot firmly in my mouth then tell me off!).

    What kind of neckwarmer are you going to make yourself? Glad you're getting some use out of the one I sent. I queued a whole lot of nice looking ones in Ravelry and have yet to make any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course your baby (not mine)!!

    I might have a look to see what you've queued. I picked up some wool for my brother's birthday scarf today though, so that'll take priority for now. My first time knitting cables.

    ReplyDelete