Monday, February 8, 2010

Hat Fail.

So, this was intended to be a hat for you, but it turned out kind of hideous and I can't inflict it on you after all! It started off so well, I love the knubbly brim and I finally nailed the joins in dpn knitting, no ladders, just a nice neat pair of stitches bumped up together. Plus, this project had the added bonus of using up some partial balls of really nice wool. However...It turned into this. I ran out of white, and when I went to buy more I found that it had been discontinued, so I thought 'oh well, I'll stripe it with my nice noro wool'. I ran out of that too. So it is finished with a nasty white acrylic on the top. So I am taking a leaf out of your book and sending it to a 'Hats for Haiti' charity drive. I know it's hideous, but I think it's made reasonably well (meaning that I wove the ends in properly and such, so it's not going to fall to pieces) so maybe someone will use it anyway.
On a different note, here is a picture of the lovely soft wool I bought from the markets in Pisac, Peru.
The lady selling it had a cool store that was a little room, jammed floor to ceiling with alpaca wool (at least she said it's alpaca, and I'm inclined to believe her given the number of those creatures wandering all over the country). She liked that I wanted it for knitting, she liked that Cameron and I were married, she hoped that we would have children soon (Peruvians are big on family, it's lovely) and she would have sold me the whole shop if we weren't backpacking and having to carry it all ourselves, but I couldn't resist getting this lot and I am still really glad that I did. Nothing worse than coming home from somewhere you are unlikely to visit again and wishing you had bought this, that, or both. If you see any shawl, wrap, or cardigan patterns that you think would be good then send me a link because I want to use it but don't know what it should be yet.
By the way, your new coat is lovely! Looks great with your scarf xx

2 comments:

  1. That cliche...about leaves and books? Is it the same spelling as 'leaf' as in 'tree' or should it be something different? I am being pedantic and wondering if I am writing it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the cliche is correct...

    I love the bottom part of the hat! I'm sure someone in Haiti will be very grateful to you.

    Your Peruvian wool is so lovely. How fun to buy yarn in exotic countries. I can't wait to go to Iceland (apparently on the cards) and Norway and buy lovely wool there. Mind you, my local has an awesome selection of gorgeous (and expensive) Scandinavian wool. The lady showed me some from the Faroe Islands the other day. So soft, but I didn't buy any. Yet.

    I'll keep an eye out for patterns for you. I'm spending an obsessive amount of time on Ravelry so I'm sure I'll see something sometime! I think I will try that shrug you made soon. Vicki's sending me my merino/silk that never got used!

    ReplyDelete