Thursday, February 4, 2010

Burning through the under-bed stash!

I have finished the cable project that I posted about previously, it was quick! 8mm needles helped with that. I'm pretty happy with it, it's just a tiny bit loose so I might move the buttons when I can be bothered. Or I might wait until winter and see what it's like over a thicker jumper. But it's very cosy and soft which I like. Here are some (bad) photos, excuse the be-speckled bathroom wall in this one, and the crazy exposures. Camera is a wuss without the flash!


In this one however, I was clever and photographed it so that you can't see the big snarl at the beginning while I was still getting used to the pattern. Yarn-over confusion again. I like how the wool is all fuzzy around the edges...the label says it's 'virgin wool'. Who knows what that actually means! This project is the first one where blocking has made a real difference, it got HUGE compared to what it started as, and all the yarn-over holes and twists got miraculously evened-out and opened up.

I love these buttons. Went on a button-buying spree actually. I am trying not to buy any wool until June as I have too much and I need to use what I have already spent money on (especially seeing as I STILL haven't got a job!).

I have been feeling bad at the time it's taking to get your present finished, so I'm sending it off now and will post it in two installments!
This way it won't be summer before something arrives : )
It's not much but hopefully you will like it! Thanks again for the gorgeous present, haven't taken the scarf off since I unwrapped it xxx

2 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! Those are cute buttons - where are you buying them from?

    I'm so excited about my present!

    And I'm so pleased you like the scarf - I thought the colours were very you.

    When you block, do you immerse the garment in water, or just spray it lightly? This weekend I'm sewing up my sweater and then I'll need to block too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm buying the buttons from this fuddy-duddy shop in Royal Oak Mall. They have MASSES. All of them look horrible until you separate them out and then find the good ones.
    As for blocking, I've tried just dampening stuff and pinning it into shape but it hasn't worked too well on bigger items. For my jumper I soaked it briefly in tepid water (until wet through) and then squeezed out the excess water by rolling it in a towel.Then pin it into shape on a dry towel. Whatever you do don't rub it! Manos wool felts very easily. Ask me how I know. Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete